Political Science and Communication
- Be registered full-time in the joint honours Political Science and Communication program
- Be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or an international student (authorization or diplomat)
- Have a minimum CGPA of 6
- Have completed all course requirements up to and including the fall term of second year
CO-OP programs have limited enrolment. Meeting the admission criteria does not guarantee you a place. Admission is based on your CGPA. We admit those with the highest CGPA first.
Sequence 1 - all students follow this sequence
|Year of Study||Fall||Winter||Summer|
|4||Work 3||Study||Work 4|
As a CO-OP student, you also pay CO-OP fees (announced every year by the Registrar) for the session before your first work term and then for every work term, up to and including your last one.
Some of our employers include
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Global Affairs Canada
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Privy Council Office
- Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Statistics Canada
- Treasury Board of Canada
- University of Ottawa
Examples of tasks at work
- Analyzing media coverage
- Designing, realizing and implementing communication and public relations campaigns
- Designing promotional materials for the media and the public
- Designing public opinion surveys
- Designing web pages
- Drafting articles and backgrounders
- Organizing conferences and special events
- Research reports
- Speechwriting and drafting correspondence
- Strategic research
- Writing strategic communication plans
How to apply
Two easy ways to apply :
1 - Reserved placement
When applying for regular admission to the University, you can also apply for direct admission to any CO-OP program except Biomedical Science, Translation and graduate-level programs. The average mark required to be eligible for direct admission into CO-OP is
- 80% or higher for students admitted in first year.
- 75% or higher for applicants who have completed at least two years of CEGEP.
To keep your reserved placement in CO-OP, you must obtain a cumulative grade point average of at least 8.0 and meet the admission requirements of your chosen CO-OP program until you are formally admitted into the Program (September 30 or March 1 of your second year of studies, depending on the program). Otherwise, you will lose your reserved spot in CO-OP and have to compete with regular applicants for admission.
If you apply for direct admission and are not granted a placement, don't worry. You can re-apply during your second year at University (see section 2)
2 - Applying once at the University of Ottawa
You can apply for CO-OP after you have registered at the University of Ottawa. Application deadlines and admission requirements vary from program to program, so be sure to check individual program pages online for specific information.
Steps to follow in order to apply from the University via uoZone:
- Connect to uoZone.
- From the Applications menu, click on CO-OP Navigator.
If you have any questions about your application, please contact our office by phone at 613 562-5741 or by e-mail at coop@uOttawa.ca.
Application Deadline: September 30 of your second year of studies