- Be registered full-time in the honours bachelor of arts program in either the specialization in History or the major in History
- Have a minimum CGPA of 6
- Have completed 54 credits before your first work term, including a methodology course
- Be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or an international student (authorization or diplomat)
CO-OP programs have limited enrolment. Meeting the admission criteria does not guarantee you a place. Admission is based on your CGPA. We admit those with the highest CGPA first.
Sequence 1 - all students follow this sequence
|Year of Study||Fall||Winter||Summer|
|4||Work 3||Study||Work 4|
As a CO-OP student, you also pay CO-OP fees (announced every year by the Registrar) for the session before your first work term and then for every work term, up to and including your last one.
Some of our employers include
- Atlas Coal Mine National Historic Site
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Canada Science and Technology Museum
- Correctional Service Canada
- Indigenous Services Canada
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- International Joint Commission
- Joan Holmes & Associates Inc.
- National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces
- Natural Resources Canada
- Parks Canada
- Parliament of Canada
- Privy Council Office
- Public Safety Canada
- Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Transport Canada
- UTC Aerospace Systems
Examples of tasks at work
- Analyzing documents and policies
- Archiving documents, reports and other materials
- Conducting research
- Improving and copyediting documents
- Preparing presentations
- Providing context for macro- and micro-historical issues
- Researching concrete historical data to support position statements
- Writing reports clearly and concisely
How to apply
Two easy ways to apply :
1 - Reserved placement
When applying for regular admission to the University, you can also apply for direct admission to any CO-OP program except Biomedical Science, Translation and graduate-level programs. The average mark required to be eligible for direct admission into CO-OP is
- 80% or higher for students admitted in first year.
- 75% or higher for applicants who have completed at least two years of CEGEP.
To keep your reserved placement in CO-OP, you must obtain a cumulative grade point average of at least 8.0 and meet the admission requirements of your chosen CO-OP program until you are formally admitted into the Program (September 30 or March 1 of your second year of studies, depending on the program). Otherwise, you will lose your reserved spot in CO-OP and have to compete with regular applicants for admission.
If you apply for direct admission and are not granted a placement, don't worry. You can re-apply during your second year at University (see section 2)
2 - Applying once at the University of Ottawa
You can apply for CO-OP after you have registered at the University of Ottawa. Application deadlines and admission requirements vary from program to program, so be sure to check individual program pages online for specific information.
Steps to follow in order to apply from the University via uoZone:
- Connect to uoZone.
- From the Applications menu, click on CO-OP Navigator.
If you have any questions about your application, please contact our office by phone at 613 562-5741 or by e-mail at coop@uOttawa.ca.
Application Deadline: September 30 of your second year of studies