Economics and Political Science
- Be registered full-time in the Joint Honours BSocSc in Economics and Political Science program
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 6 in courses taken at the University of Ottawa
- Have completed all your first-year course requirements, and be registered in your mandatory second-year fall and winter courses
CO-OP programs have limited enrolment. Meeting the admission criteria does not guarantee you a place. Admission is based on your CGPA. We admit those with the highest CGPA first.
Sequence 1 - all students follow this sequence
|Year of Study||Fall||Winter||Summer|
|4||Work 3||Study||Work 4|
As a CO-OP student, you also pay CO-OP fees (announced every year by the Registrar) for the session before your first work term and then for every work term, up to and including your last one.
Some of our employers include
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Bank of Canada
- Bank of Montreal (BMO)
- CARE Canada
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Centre for the Study of Living Standards
- Competition Bureau
- Department of Finance Canada
- Employment and Social Development Canada
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Global Affairs Canada
- Human Resources and Social Development Canada
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- MD Financial Management
- Natural Resources Canada
- Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Statistics Canada
- University of Ottawa
Examples of tasks at work
- Analyzing domestic and international policy
- Assessing policy positions and strategies
- Decoding economic funding formulas
- Doing statistical, cost-benefit and trend analyses
- Drafting correspondence
- Planning and applying economic research
- Preparing economic forecasts
- Research reports
- Strategic research
How to apply
Two easy ways to apply :
1 - Reserved placement
When applying for regular admission to the University, you can also apply for direct admission to any CO-OP program except Biomedical Science, Translation and graduate-level programs. The average mark required to be eligible for direct admission into CO-OP is
- 80% or higher for students admitted in first year.
- 75% or higher for applicants who have completed at least two years of CEGEP.
To keep your reserved placement in CO-OP, you must obtain a cumulative grade point average of at least 8.0 and meet the admission requirements of your chosen CO-OP program until you are formally admitted into the Program (September 30 or March 1 of your second year of studies, depending on the program). Otherwise, you will lose your reserved spot in CO-OP and have to compete with regular applicants for admission.
If you apply for direct admission and are not granted a placement, don't worry. You can re-apply during your second year at University (see section 2)
2 - Applying once at the University of Ottawa
You can apply for CO-OP after you have registered at the University of Ottawa. Application deadlines and admission requirements vary from program to program, so be sure to check individual program pages online for specific information.
Steps to follow in order to apply from the University via uoZone:
- Connect to uoZone.
- From the Applications menu, click on CO-OP Navigator.
If you have any questions about your application, please contact our office by phone at 613 562-5741 or by e-mail at coop@uOttawa.ca.
Application Deadline: September 30 of your second year of studies