- Be registered full-time in the honours bachelor of science program in either the specialization in Chemistry or the major in in chemistry
- Have a minimum CGPA of 6
- Have completed all core courses and a minimum 40 CHM credits by the end of the fall term of third year with a GPA of 7 in those credits
- (with the department´s permission you may replace up to six of the above credits with 2000, 3000 or 4000 level credits from other science or engineering departments)
- Be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or an international student (authorization or diplomat)
CO-OP programs have limited enrolment. Meeting the admission criteria does not guarantee you a place. Admission is based on your CGPA. We admit those with the highest CGPA first.
Sequence 1 - all students follow this sequence
|Year of Study||Fall||Winter||Summer|
|4||Work 2||Study||Work 3|
As a CO-OP student, you also pay CO-OP fees (announced every year by the Registrar) for the session before your first work term and then for every work term, up to and including your last one.
Some of our employers include
- Abbott Point-of-Care
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- GDG Environment Ltée
- Health Canada
- Lallemand Inc.
- Monsato Canada Inc.
- National Defence
- National Research Council Canada
- Natural Resources Canada
- Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
- Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre
- Spartan Bioscience Inc.
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1
- Université de Lyon
- Université de Montréal
- University of Ottawa
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute
- VBI Vaccines
Examples of tasks at work
- Identification of chemical compounds
- Synthesis and separation of chemical compounds
- Using various techniques including chromatography and spectroscopy
How to apply
Two easy ways to apply :
1 - Reserved placement
When applying for regular admission to the University, you can also apply for direct admission to any CO-OP program except Biomedical Science, Translation and graduate-level programs. The average mark required to be eligible for direct admission into CO-OP is
- 80% or higher for students admitted in first year.
- 75% or higher for applicants who have completed at least two years of CEGEP.
To keep your reserved placement in CO-OP, you must obtain a cumulative grade point average of at least 8.0 and meet the admission requirements of your chosen CO-OP program until you are formally admitted into the Program (September 30 or March 1 of your second year of studies, depending on the program). Otherwise, you will lose your reserved spot in CO-OP and have to compete with regular applicants for admission.
If you apply for direct admission and are not granted a placement, don't worry. You can re-apply during your second year at University (see section 2)
2 - Applying once at the University of Ottawa
You can apply for CO-OP after you have registered at the University of Ottawa. Application deadlines and admission requirements vary from program to program, so be sure to check individual program pages online for specific information.
Steps to follow in order to apply from the University via UoZone:
- From the Applications menu, click on CO-OP Navigator
If you have any questions about your application, please contact our office by phone at 613 562-5741 or by e-mail at coop@uOttawa.ca.
Application Deadline: September 30 of your third year of studies