CO-OP: A world of opportunities
What is CO-OP?
Co-operative education at the University of Ottawa allows you to apply concepts learned in class during paid work terms. After about four years of study, you will have not only a diploma that indicates you participated in a CO-OP program but also approximately 16 months of experience in your field of study and a network of valuable contacts. All of these factors will contribute to helping you find a job more easily after graduation.
Top five reasons to join a CO-OP program:
- Gain valuable paid work experience in your field of study
- Develop professional skills and gain a better understanding of the workplace
- Discover what career fits you through different job opportunities
- Meet key people in the job market who will facilitate your placement after graduation
- Travel and meet interesting people
How does it work?
Preparing for summer CO-OP placements - at a glance:
Fall of second year*
Prepare for CO-OP
- Apply to CO-OP (before September 30*)
- Receive admission decision in mid-October.
- Attend mandatory workshops.
*For most programs
Winter of second year
Begin job search
- Apply for jobs through CO-OP Navigator.
- Attend interviews with employers.
- Receive notice when you are matched with an employer.
Summer of second year
Complete work term
- Set work term objectives.
- Participate in mid-term evaluation.
- Write and submit final report.
I have a reserved spot in the CO-OP Program